Monday, February 14, 2011

The obligatory Valentine post

Although Mike and I have never made a very big day out of Valentine's Day, since the kids have come around we've started doing little things we think they will enjoy. It's not that I don't like Valentine's Day - I really do. It's just that we celebrate our anniversary right before it and we generally put quite a bit of energy (and money) into that. By the time Valentine's Day rolls around our wallets are fairly skinny.
The kids though - they get left out of the whole anniversary deal (doy) - so we make Valentine's a little more about them. This morning Mike made them heart shaped pancakes and bought each of them little heart shaped boxes of chocolates. They were thrilled! I'd also bought them some off brand croc's that were on clearance at Target - they'd been begging for some forever and for $3? How could I not?
Mike surprised me and had a huge bouquet of flowers waiting when I woke up (after letting me sleep in!) as well as some mango nectar. I found an awesome recipe for mango margaritas to make for me and my sister-in-law during the SuperBowl but I could not find the stinking mango nectar! He knows what makes me smile.
The kids sure love being spoiled and ... so do I. My kids pick up on that. All week Lincoln has been bringing me 'secret' Valentine's. And this morning, after breakfast, Brooklyn handed me her box of chocolate.
"Mommy," she said, "this is for you." She gave it to me with a huge smile and a giant bear hug.
"Are you sure?" I asked. They were actually hers, after all.
"I'm sure Mommy. Happy Valentimes. I love you."
And then I opened this ...



1 comment:

Yellow said...

LOL I love it! Such a great kid! I can so see Dino doing this.
Hope you guys have a great day